Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Allow me to introduce myself

Me: I am a thirty something year old, very happily married, mother of 2 beautiful kids. I was born and raised in Alabama but currently reside in Atlanta, Ga.

My 1st 5k

On May 1st I ran my first 5k along with my hubby and mother-in-law. I wanted to finish in under 30 minutes but lost my motivation (and running buddy) along the way so my official time was 40:23.32. Considering I never actually completed the C25k program and wasn't training consistently, I'd like to think that I did alright. My husband and I will also be running the 2010 Peachtree Road Race which is a 10k. I'm extremely nervous but I know that I'll give it my best. Can you tell that I'm a wanna be runner. No worries, I'll get there eventually ;-)




My Health: In 2003 I was diagnosed with a rare, sometimes fatal, and incurable kidney disease called FSGS. After extensive research and consulting with my doctor my condition has been successfully managed with medication and a bit of tough love. I'm hoping that by eating a high raw vegan diet, losing some weight and moving moremy condition to improve even more.



Raw: Since the beginning of 2010, I've been transitioning to a high raw vegan lifestyle although I'm not going to be radically strict about it (ie wearing leather, suede and fur). In fact choosing to become a raw vegan has been one of the easiest decisions that I have ever made although making it a reality needs a bit of practice. So far I love eating this way. It's a lot less time consuming and I feel AMAZING. I have energy all day, I fall asleep faster and the quality of sleep is better and I noticed an overall greater sense of well-being that wasn't present when I consumed a SAD (standard American diet).

Through out this journey I plan to keep it simple and focus primarily on unprocessed fruit and vegetables, sprouts, seeds, nuts, grains, beans, nuts, dried fruit, and seaweeds. I love fresh juices, green smoothies every raw entree that I've tried so far.  I also plan to continue training for not only the Peachtree 10 but I hope to complete a half marathon before my next birthday!


No comments: